How to Apply for Your First U.S. Passport
Print this article
Font Size
Applying for Your U.S. Passport In-Person For the First Time
View ArticleView Article Comments
You must apply in person for a U.S. Passport Book or U.S. Passport Card if:
  • You are applying for your first U.S. passport;
  • You are under age 16;
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16;
  • Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged;
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago; or
  • Your name has changed since your U.S. passport was issued and you are unable to legally document your name change
You should also note that special requirements apply for: (1) minors under age 16; (2) minors ages 16-17; and (3) for diplomatic, official, and regular no-fee passports.

You may also be eligible to renew your U.S. Passport by mail, if you are a previous U.S. Passport Book holder and you are eligible to submit Form DS-82. Please read "How To Renew Your U.S. Passport" for further details on how to renew your U.S. passport.

Next, we’ll discuss where you’ll need to go if you have to apply in person.